The Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) Program is a capacity building project which was initiated in 2017 by the African Development Bank and Japan to award two-year scholarships to high-achieving African students to pursue post-graduate studies at master’s level in priority development areas on the continent and in Japan.
The overarching goal of the African Development Bank and the Government of Japan is to enhance skills and human resources in Africa, in keeping with the Bank’s High 5 strategic priorities, namely Feed Africa, Light Up and Power Africa, Industrialize Africa, Integrate Africa, and Improve the Quality of Life of the People of Africa. These priorities are also in line with key Japanese development assistance initiatives.
This scholarship is open to applicants from African Development Bank member countries with relevant professional experience and a history of supporting their countries’ development efforts who are applying to a graduate degree program in energy development and related disciplines. To be considered for this scholarship, applicants must first apply to APU. APU will then select eligible candidates to recommend to the scholarship organization.
Scholarship provider: AfDB – Japan Government
Study Institution: Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
Degree Category: Masters & PhD
Eligible Country: Africans
Application Closing Date: 12th September 2022
- 1. Be a national of an AfDB member country
- 2. Be 35 years old or less
- 3. Have a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent degree)
- 4. Have at least 1 year of full-time working experience after earning a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent degree)
- 5. Not be living or working outside of your home country
- 6. Not already be enrolled in a graduate degree program
- 7. Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of all types of appointments of the African Development Bank Group or a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption with the term “close relative” defined as: Mother, Father, Sister, Half-sister, Brother, Half-brother, Son, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, or Nephew
- 8. Agree to return to your home country to contribute to its economic and social development after completion of studies under the program
- Tuition for a graduate program and the cost of basic medical insurance, usually obtained through the university.
- 140,000 JPY per month for living expenses (amount subject to change)
- Economy class air travel between a recipient’s home country and the host university at the start of the study program and immediately following the end of the scholarship period.
- A monthly subsistence allowance to cover living expenses, including books.
- For scholars engaged in research, a special grant may be available for research and thesis preparation. In special circumstances, computer literacy, preparatory language and other similar courses may be covered under the scholarship. Please note that all JADS scholarships cover the duration of the graduate program or two years at most.
How to Apply for the 2023 AfDB-JADS Postgraduate Scholarship at Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
- Request to be considered for this scholarship within the APU Online Application and submit the application by September 21, 2022(for April 2023 enrollment) or January 18, 2023 (for September 2023 enrollment). No application form or additional documents are required to be considered for this scholarship.
- APU reviews application documents and selects suitable candidates to recommend to the AfDB-JADS.
- Applicants selected to be recommended for this scholarship are notified with their final APU application results.
- Interested applicants are to apply via the official application link. Click the Apply Now button below to apply. Visit the official announcement page for more details.