DAAD has called for applications for its 2023 DAAD Fully Funded Postgraduate Scholarship At the Benue State University Markurdi, Nigeria. The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. For this purpose, scholarships for development-related Master or doctoral studies are awarded to individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and/or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Scholarship provider: DAAD
Degree Category: Masters & PhD
Study Institution: Benue State University Markurdi, Nigeria.
Eligible Country: Sub-Sahara African
Application Closing Date: December 9, 2022
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from SubSaharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses, either in their home country or in another Sub-Saharan Africa country.
The scholarships at Benue State University are available in the following programmes:
– Master in Food Chemistry
– PhD in Food Chemistry
- The Master programme is generally 2 years and is usually starting in October 2023 (The Master programme includes both course-work and a research phase).
- The PhD programme is generally 3 years and is usually starting in October 2023 (The PhD programme is exclusively research-based)
- have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university Master degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (at east: Second Class/Upper Division or equivalent, if applicable);
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment;
- have a thorough knowledge of the language of instruction;
- have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application;
- must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) or a candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) or from the public sector and/or d) Alumni of the DAFI-programme
- Scholarships are generally initially granted for one year and can be extended to a maximum of the regular period of study upon receipt of an application for extension. Scholars must demonstrate satisfactory progress before an extension is granted.
|(Tuition) Fees*||At the beginning of every academic year||The regularly charged amount will be specified in the letter of award.|
|Study and research allowance||annually||460 EUR (Master) 920 EUR (PhD)|
|Printing allowance||once toward the end of scholarship||400 EUR (Master)
800 EUR (PhD)
|Monthly Scholarship (Accommodation, Food etc.)||monthly||300 EUR (Master In-Country)
450 EUR (Master In-Region)
500 EUR (PhD In-Country)
550 EUR (PhD In-Region)
|Travel allowance (In-Region only)||usually twice (beginning/ end of the scholarship)||The flat rate travel allowance will
be specified in the letter of award.
|Insurance (In-Region only)||Further information regarding health insurance will be specified in the letter of award.|
- DAAD application form duly filled in (available in the DAAD portal)
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of publications (if applicable).
- Recommendation letter by university teachers (Master 1, PhD 2)
- Letter of admission for the host university/institution/network (this can be subsequently submitted before the scholarship begins if it is not available at the time of application)
- Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts (if available, including a grading scale for the final university grade)
- If available, information on the recognition of university degree certificates in the host country
- Letter of motivation (1-2 pages)
- Copy of the passport (if applicable), or National Identification Card
- If applicable, information on the UNHCR registration as a refugee
- Since the Master’s programme includes both coursework and a research phase, please submit a short proposal for a possible Master project (2-3 pages), also mentioning the planned research stay in Germany (if applicable), see “Additional benefits”
- Additional documents only for PhD programmes:
– Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor or a commitment letter from the host institution that a supervisor will be assigned
– Detailed and precise PhD proposal (8-10 pages)
– Detailed work and timetable (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”) Please note that a detailed and comprehensive proposal is necessary for the assessment. Concept notes will not be accepted.
– Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal)
How to Apply
- Applicants must apply for the scholarship via the DAAD portal. Applicants are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register themselves and submit a DAAD application (Click the Apply Now Button below to start your application)
- DAAD will conduct a formal review of the applications received via the DAAD portal according to DAAD criteria.
- Applicants must at the same time apply for admission at the Benue State University Markurdi, Nigeria. using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution.
- Benue State University will screen, pre-select and short-list the applicants that have met both their own admission requirements and the formal criteria by DAAD
- In a final selection, the applications ranked by the institution in the preselection will be assessed by an independent selection committee (international university professors and experts from German and foreign universities and alumni).
Interested applicants are to check the official website for the proper Application procedures. Visit the official announcement page for more details. To start your application, Click the apply now button below.
Download this PDF file to read more about the Scholarship Programme.