The Miles Morland Foundation is pleased to announce that the 2024 Morland Writing Scholarships for African writers will open for entries on Saturday 1st July.
The Foundation runs a yearly African writing scholarship scheme, see our MMF Writing Scholarships page, which aims to give writers of both fiction and non-fiction the financial freedom to complete an English-language book. The Foundation’s main aim is to support entities in Africa which allow Africans to get their voices better heard. It is particularly interested in supporting African writing and African literature.
Organizer: Miles Morland Foundation
Eligible Country: Africans
Application Closing Date: September 18, 2024
- The competition is open to all age groups
- Applicants must be an African
- To qualify for the Scholarship a candidate must submit an excerpt from a piece of work of between 2,000 – 5,000 words, written in English that has been published and offered for sale, you must send clear evidence that the piece you upload as part of your application has been both published AND offered for sale. This will be evaluated by a panel of readers and judges set up by the MMF. The work submitted will be judged purely on literary merit. It is not the purpose of the Scholarships to support academic or scientific research, or works of special interest such as religious or political writings. Submissions or proposals of this nature do not qualify.
- A submission of between 2,000 to 5,000 words as a Word document of work that has been published and offered for sale.
- Proof of publication and proof of sale.
- A scan of an official document showing that you, or both of your parents, were born in Africa.
- A description of between 400 – 1,000 words about the new book you intend to write.
- A brief bio of between 200 – 300 words.
- Please tell us how you heard about the Morland Writing Scholarships.
Scholars writing fiction will receive a grant of £18,000, paid monthly for twelve months. At the discretion of the Foundation, Scholars writing non-fiction who require additional research time could receive an additional grant, paid for up to eighteen months.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must read the full details about the program before proceeding to the application page. Click here to check the official announcement page for more details about the application process.