Applications are now open for the Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Postgraduate Scholarships 2023 (QECS). QECS offers a unique opportunity to study for a two-year Master’s degree in a low or middle-income Commonwealth country.
QECS is aimed at students who are committed to creating change in their communities, the scholarships are a life-changing opportunity to experience a new country and culture, to broaden horizons, and to build a global network that will last a lifetime. Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships sponsor Master’s Degrees in a broad range of subject areas. The subject areas available differ according to the Host University and/or Country.
Host: Commonwealth Organization
Study Country: Selected Commonwealth countries
Scholarship Category: Masters’s Degree
Eligible Nationality: Commonwealth countries
Application Deadline: 10 January 2023.
- Citizens (or those who hold refugee status) in a Commonwealth country are welcome to apply.
- You must have already completed your degree and have graduated with an equivalent of a 2:1 at the time of application. As part of the application process you will be asked to provide a copy of your final transcript and degree certificate.
- There is no upper age limit to be eligible for a QECS Award.
- QECS awards are only for new students and cannot be used to fund a course that has already been started.
- QECS is available for a 2-year master’s degree Course only.
- For academic requirements, check with your preferred university to ensure you meet the entry requirements for your chosen courses.
Award recipients receive:
- Fully-funded tuition fees
- Living expenses allowance (stipend) for the duration of award
- Return economy flights to their host country
- An arrival allowance
- Research support grant – on request only; subject to approval
Available Institutions For the Scholarship
- University of Dhaka
- University of Eswatini (UNESWA)
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi Ghana (KNUST)
- The University of the West Indies, Jamaica
- Universiti Putra Malaysia
- University of Malaya
- University of Mauritius
- COMSATS University Islamabad, Pakistan
- The State University of Zanzibar, Tanzania
- Makerere University, Uganda
Application and Selection Process
- The timing of when you will hear the outcome of your application will depend on the application cycle you have applied in.
– Cycle 1 applicants for courses starting in July-October should receive the outcome of their application by July of the year of award.
– Cycle 2 applicants for courses starting in January-February should receive the outcome of their application by the October prior to the start of award.
- Academic years start at different times across the globe with some starting in July-October and others starting in January-February.
- The country that you wish to study in will determine when you need to submit an application.
For an application to be considered for selection, applicants must ensure that:
- Their personal statement is written clearly so that a non-specialist can understand what the aims of the research are and how they will be implemented
- They clearly outline why they are applying to the courses and institutions listed on their application form. You must tailor these answers to each institution – if you write the same answer for each course/institution or copy and paste text from university websites, then your application will not be considered.
- They meet all the eligibility requirements for their chosen university course, including having the necessary work experience
- Two referees are identified and references are provided– references should be detailed and include the content outlined on the application form
- Include full details about marks/grades gained for particular degrees. Applicants are strongly encouraged to ensure that full supporting documentation is provided at the time of application, in the form of an official transcript.
- It is strongly advised that all applicants read all of the instructions and FAQs carefully before starting their application, and then complete all of the questions fully.
How to Apply for QECS 2023
- Applications must be submitted online through Online Application System. This system will be used throughout the selection process. We recommend you find alternative internet providers that are available locally
- You are encouraged to apply for your chosen course of study before or at the same time as applying for a QECS award.
- You should visit your chosen university’s website for more information on their admissions procedures and when their applications open. Some universities require an application fee to process your application. The QECS will not pay this deposit and it is your responsibility to secure your university offer.