The Mastercard Foundation has partnered with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to oversee the implementation of financial, academic, social and post-graduation support to awarded candidates under the scholarship titled The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town.
The Program will provide scholarships to academically talented young Africans to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate studies at UCT. Students enrolled on the Program will receive mentoring, leadership development, academic and life skills support. Academic support will include tutoring, language training, writing circles and guidance counselling.
Degree Category: Masters
Eligible Country: Africans
Application Closing Date: 31 July 2023
- Be a citizen of an African country
- Be admitted to a postgraduate Masters study programme and preparing to commence with their
first year of registration in the Engineering and the Built Environment, Commerce, Health
Sciences, Humanities, Law, or Sciences faculties at UCT
- Be from an economically disadvantaged background, demonstrate financial need, and leadership
- Applicants who intend to register for a second Masters postgraduate degree at the same level are
ineligible to apply for this scholarship
- Applicants who have previously registered for Masters postgraduate degree at any higher
learning institution are ineligible to apply for this scholarship
- Only applicants who have applied to the relevant academic department at UCT are eligible to apply
for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town awards.
- The comments on the academic abilities of the applicant by the academic referees will form part of
the academic criteria for this scholarship.
- Successful applicants will be required to produce the original academic transcripts on arrival and
registration at UCT.
- Applicants will be required to produce translated copies of all academic transcripts where English is
not the primary language.
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or
residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of
- Full tuition fees and international student fees
- Accommodation in a student residence managed by the UCT Student Housing Admissions and
Advocacy Services at UCT
- Meals through the student housing system at UCT
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to awardees’ studies
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for the degree programme
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by The Mastercard Foundation Scholars
Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to an internship opportunity, career development and job placement assistance
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of
and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but
outside of Cape Town
How to Apply
Interested applicants must read the full details about the program before proceeding to the application page. Click here to check the official announcement page for more details about the application process.