The Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS) invites applications for its Eight Writing Semester, which will run from 1 February to 31 May 2023.
The Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS) is an institute based at the University of Johannesburg, South Africa. Over the years JIAS has grown to be one of the leading institutes of its kind based in the African continent. Its purpose is to promote advanced research in the humanities and natural sciences, beyond the regular teaching and research activities at institutions of higher learning
About JIAS Writing Fellowships 2023
The fellowship program is designed to host a group of exceptional creative writers and scholars from different disciplines as Writing Fellows. Each Writing Fellow focuses on her/his individual project while benefiting from interacting with other Writing Fellows and from the community of scholars and writers from the universities in Johannesburg and Gauteng in general.
Fellowships are open to any field of expertise, including novelists writing in indigenous languages. Previous fellows have included academics, novelists, scientists, poets, playwrights, independent researchers, and journalists.
Host: The Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS)
Eligible Country: Africans
Application Closing Date: 1 August 2022.
Each Writers’ Workshop Participant will receive:
- Accommodation at JIAS’ private residence
- Daily meals
- An intensive and immersive creative experience
- Mentorship from an established and accomplished writer
- The JIAS Writers’ Workshop is open to African writers who work in Fiction (long and short form), Creative Non-Fiction, Playwriting, Screenwriting, and Poetry.
Workshop participants will be mentored by accomplished, critically-acclaimed, and award-winning writers.
- This is a great opportunity for novice writers to learn from established writers who are masters of their craft.
- Participants in the workshop will also be able to take advantage of and benefit from the vitality and diversity that a dynamic city like Johannesburg has to offer.
How to Apply for JIAS Writing Fellowships 2023
Interested applicants are to submit their detail through the JAIS application portal. Click the ‘Apply Now’ button below to apply. Visit the official JIAS Writing Fellowships announcement page for more details.