[Apply Now] 2023 TechGirls International Summer Exchange Program
Applications are now open for the 2023 TechGirls International Summer Exchange Program. U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs’ (ECA) mission is to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchange that assist in the development of peaceful relations.
TechGirls connects and supports the next generation of women leaders in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics by providing them access and opportunities to advance their skills and pursue their dreams.
The program is designed to empower young girls from around the world to pursue higher education and, ultimately, careers in STEM fields In 2023, the program will bring together 111 peers from 35 countries/territories and 15 American young women for a 25-day U.S.-based experience with a 7-month mentoring program (pre- and post- exchange).
TechGirls is packed with skill-development workshops and interactions with America’s most innovative tech professionals as well as 40 hours of study at a Tech Camp with our partner the Center for Enhancement in Engineering Diversity at Virginia Tech. The TechGirls program offers a rich cultural immersion experience, improves the participants’ ability to enter tech fields and encourages them to pursue higher education in fields where women are underrepresented.
Sponsor: U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
Eligible Country: International
Application Closing Date: December 16, 2022
The TechGirls program covers the following costs:
- Visa Fee
- Roundtrip international airfare from the participant’s home country to the United States
- Housing during program
- Double occupancy dormitory accommodations
- Meals during program
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Local transportation to group program events
- Cultural events organized by Legacy International
- Emergency health insurance
- Are citizens of one of the eligible countries/territories and living in that country/territory at time of exchange:
- Sub-Saharan Africa (AF) – Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, and South Africa
- East Asia and Pacific (EAP) – Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, and Vietnam
- Middle East and North Africa (NEA) – Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia
- South and Central Asia (SCA) – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- Western Hemisphere (WHA) – Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Suriname
- Europe and Eurasia (EUR) – Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Turkey
- United States of America
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange July 8th, 2023 (Born on or between July 9, 2005 and July 8, 2008);
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in science, technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in STEM, especially technology;
- Have strong English language skills (advanced intermediate English skills);
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country;
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home; and
- Meet U.S. J-1 visa eligibility requirements (for instance, U.S. citizens are not eligible for J-1 visa).
- Eligible candidates must be citizens and current residents of participating countries. Third country nationals permanently living in an eligible country should contact us to determine eligibility prior to applying.
- Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
Interested applicants are to check the official website for the proper Application procedures. Visit the official announcement page for more details. To start your application, Click the apply now button below.